Worth County Historical Society

office (641) 324-1180

Swensrud School  << back to WCHS sites <<

Grove Township District School No. 5 (The Swensrud School)

The schoolhouse was built in 1874 by William G. Stott on the farm of John McQuatters, three miles east and one mile north of Northwood. About 1890, it was moved one mile north, where it stood until it was moved from the Swensrud farm to its present location in 1972.

The school contains rows of desks with carvings of long ago, a pot-bellied stove, lunch pails on the bench and a collection of old school books. The names of the teachers who taught in this school are posted on the wall.

Open:  Sundays, 2 to 4 p.m. first Sunday in June through the last Sunday in August.
      June 16th Closed for County Fair

Location: Junction of Central Ave (Hwy. 105) and 10th St. (Hwy. 65) in Northwood, just south of the Main Museum.